≡ Menu

Organising tips for the home: laundry tips

organizing tips

Welcome to the Friday Club Carnival, a weekly carnival held here. This week’s Carnival is all about organising tips for the home and you’ll find links to other organising tips at the end of this post.

********
My quick tip is very simple and is good if you have a large family. I expect many of you already do it, but when I thought of it, it transformed one of my least favourite chores: laundry.

There are six of us in our house, including four boys with remarkably similar sized bottoms and feet. So you can imagine that underwear washing is a really fun time for me! Not only the fun of picking up dirty socks and pants thrown about all over their bedrooms but then having to sort them and pair them when they were clean and dry.

But in the store one day I spotted a pack of three laundry bags. I already use these to wash delicate items but then I realised I could use them to make laundry much easier.

So now each person has a laundry bag at the end of their bed and I have trained them to put their dirty underwear straight into the bag (so no more grovelling around under the bed for me!) and then I throw the bags straight into the wash, then into the dryer and then I empty the clean items straight back into their respective drawers. I buy socks all the same colour so they can always find a matching pair from the loose socks in the drawer.

What used to take me at least an hour probably takes me no more than a few minutes now. And that makes me very happy.

You don’t want to let the bag get too full or else the items won’t wash properly. I have two bags for each child so that there is a clean bag to hang straight up or else there will be dirty underwear strewn about the place (it takes them no time at all to revert to bad habits :) ). That way I also don’t have to hurry to get clean underwear back to drawers if I am busy.

What tip has made life easier for you?

laundry bag

********

Here are the other entries in this Organising Tips for the Home Carnival:

Make Do Mum posts Organising for Magpies

Maggy at Red Ted Art posts How to… make your own Scrapbook/ Artwork Calendar

Cass at The Diary of a Frugal Family posts How To Be An Organised Mum

Jax at Making It Up posts her tips in A place for everything and everything in its place

Helen at Cheeky Wipes posts her laundry tips

Jules at I Need Curtains for the Window in my Head posts her tips for organising post

Angela at Mum’s Survival Guide posts The Organised Side of Me: Paperwork.

Top photo adapted with thanks from: oh sk

21 comments… add one

• maggy, red ted art January 21, 2011, 5:11 pm

Hooray for laundry bags!! And great idea to have matching socks!!!

• Sophie January 21, 2011, 5:17 pm

How come I never thought of this! Such a simple idea but so fab, I’m going to go and get some laundry bags tomorrow.

My boys all have identical underwear but they still seem to be able to tell it apart and they get cross with me when I give them their brother’s pants. If they’re that bothered then they can jolly well do it themselves!

• Jenny January 21, 2011, 5:25 pm

I have a girl and a boy so I don’t have too much trouble with sorting underwear but I can imagine what a nightmare it must have been for you. My favourite tip is to have dark and light laundry baskets and everyone has to put their clothes in the right basket. It works most of the time :)

• Becky January 21, 2011, 5:32 pm

what a fab idea with those bags!

• mummylimited January 21, 2011, 4:33 pm

@notesfromhome ooh I love the laundry bag tip. Will look at the others later on lappy.

• Notes to self plus two January 21, 2011, 5:42 pm

laundry bags that go a straight in the wash – genius.
    i am buying laundry bags now!

• Alethea January 21, 2011, 6:32 pm

That is absolute genius!

We are only three so as long as I wash regularly it seems to be okay, but if I don’t fold and pack away a clean bundle immediately it does tend to pile up.

So I suppose my tip is don’t put it off cause it’s going to be waiting for you, along with the next pile and the next . . .

• Angela January 21, 2011, 8:36 pm

what a good idea!

• sian cox January 21, 2011, 10:17 pm

What a great idea, especially the socks

• Cheeky Wipes Helen January 22, 2011, 8:45 am

Ella – this is a BRILLIANT tip – both my boys have similar sized feet and until now one keeps ending up with all the socks. But no more. I’ve got lots of those wash bags anyway as they come in my CW kits, so it’s an easy one to do. Why didn’t \i think of it earlier?

• Make do mum January 22, 2011, 12:28 pm

This is a great idea, I’ll have to keep an eye out for these bags.

• amanda January 23, 2011, 7:33 pm

I can’t believe I haven’t thought of doing this. Such a great tip, thank you :)

• midlifesinglemum January 24, 2011, 2:01 am

A friend of mine with two older sons and one husband buys her husband’s underwear at M&S, older son’s at BHS, and younger son’s at – actually I can’t remember where but you get the picture. It doesn’t save time doing the laundry but sorting comes down to three different labels. Loved the laundry bag idea though.

• ella January 24, 2011, 8:51 pm

I can tell mine apart by the age on the labels, but after looking at those after a glass of wine I lose the will to live :)

• leila January 25, 2011, 5:19 pm

Super tip Ella , I wouldn’t have thought to do this in a million years!

• ella January 26, 2011, 12:25 pm

• Cass January 26, 2011, 5:23 pm

That’s a great idea – I’m definitely going to be doing this one x

• karla March 25, 2011, 8:47 pm

i actually use the laundry bags to keep all the socks together so the dry doesnt eat them but never thought about sorting socks and underwear into them…. fabulous idea, i have 3 boys that are similar sizes 6,7,9 so this will make life so much easier and sorting my husbands socks from mine, we have the same brand different sizes. GENIUS

• Amanda October 16, 2011, 2:34 am

Great tip! I ALWAYS try and buy the same brand/color socks for my hubby so I don’t have to try to play the matching game. Another tip to help with drying times is tossing some tennis balls into the dryer. They cut down drying time while fluffing bulky items like comforters or winter jackets.

• Evelyn October 18, 2011, 2:05 pm

Fantastic tip, i will be using this one for sure!!